I know and realize that Jan played an important role for the Filipino community in the Netherlands. He was touched by your situation and angry with the system in which it is possible for human rights defenders to be treated as criminals and terrorists. The system in which communists are not sure of their lives and have to hide or flee their country. He admired and supported your struggle and the untiring efforts to resume and make the peace talks successful.
I had the privilege to get to know Comrade Jan Beentjes in an effort of Filipino comrades to reach the elements that had remained steadfast and militant proletarian revolutionaries from the defunct Communist Party of the Netherlands. We admired how he studied hard and tried to impart Marxism-Leninism to others and how he applied the theory to the concrete circumstances of his country and to international solidarity relations.
Family and Friends gathered at the NDFP International Information Office on December 3, 2017 to pay tribute to a great friend of the Filipino people and a proletarian internationalist, Johannes Jacobus Beentjes or “Jan” as he is fondly called.
After living a militant and honest life, Johannes Jacobus Beentjes or Jan, as he was fondly called, had left us on the 8th of February. Yet, he lives on in our memories.
February 13, 2017
The National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) renders high tribute to Johannes Jacobus “Jan” Beentjes, an exemplary comrade. We are deeply saddened by his passing away. We convey our most heartfelt condolences to his family, colleagues and friends.
We have very fond memories of Comrade Jan Beentjes, his devotion and determination to pursue the cause of liberation and democracy. We recall his kindness and generosity, his keen and serious mind and his humor. For all these, we love him and feel inspired by him in continuing the tasks we, together with him and other comrades, have set for ourselves to accomplish.
Jan was deeply dedicated to serve the struggle of the Filipino people for national and social liberation. He keenly followed the growth of the people’s revolution in building organs of democratic power all over the country, their fight for genuine land reform and national industrialization and their struggle against US imperialism and the local reactionaries of big landlords and compradors.
Jan offered his skills for the international solidarity work. He was a stalwart of the International DEFEND Committee in support of Filipino refugees and managed the Defend Jose Maria Sison website. He prepared video presentations on the Philippine situation and the just struggles of the Filipino people to provide meaningful information for international audiences.
He generously gave much of his time and his financial resources to help develop the solidarity work abroad. He developed his skill in music, joining his longstanding partner and soulmate and other anti-imperialist musicians to perform in solidarity activities.
Jan was a keen student of revolutionary movements. He made use of his rich experiences in the Soviet Union and the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea (DPRK) to enrich educational efforts in solidarity work. He studied and discussed with other comrades the fundamental topics of imperialism, dialectical and historical materialism, political economy and basic documents of the Philippine Revolution.
We shall miss Comrade Jan Beentjes. His revolutionary spirit and service to the Filipino people and the world revoluton will continue to inspire us.
Long live the revolutionary spirit and legacy of Comrade Jan Beentjes!
Long live the Filipino people’s struggle for national and social liberation!
Long live international anti-imperialist solidarity and the struggle for socialism!
Luis G. Jalandoni
NDFP Chief International Representative
Member, NDFP National Executive Committee
Jan at the launching of the ILPS Netherlands.
News / Statements
- NPA confront Brgy. Officials in Lamogong, Manjuyod23 August 2019 - 17:50
- Dela Rosa is a one-track minded fascist23 August 2019 - 17:28
- ON STUDENT ACTIVISM21 August 2019 - 18:38
- Duterte ruling clique is corrupt in official and criminal relations with China21 August 2019 - 18:11
- Remember Kian delos Santos and the murdered thousands16 August 2019 - 16:02
- Lorenzana’s “more security and less rights” is perverted Hitlerite logic15 August 2019 - 17:50
- Red salute to the five revolutionary martyrs in Agusan del Sur17 July 2019 - 14:53
- Red salute to Ka Joel Virador, tireless human rights defender11 May 2019 - 20:24
- Revolutionary tribute to Comrade Julie and Comrade Zero, martyrs of the encounter in Marcelo, Calatrava30 April 2019 - 19:50
- Solidarity message on the first anniversary of the Panmunjom Declaration27 April 2019 - 03:08
- WE ARE THE NPA: We serve the people and the revolution until victory and for socialism!31 March 2019 - 17:23
- Aabot ba tayo ng singkwenta kung hindi tayo mahal ng masa?30 March 2019 - 15:58
- Boldly intensify guerrilla warfare and wage all-out resistance against the US-Duterte fascist regime! Carry forward the people’s war to greater heights!30 March 2019 - 03:51
- Condolences to the Revolutionary Communist Party of Argentina on the passing away of Comrade Otto Vargas18 February 2019 - 07:41