September 1, 1992
We, the undersigned emissary of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) and the undersigned representative of the National Democratic Front (NDF) have held exploratory talks at The Hague, The Netherlands on August 31 ‑ September 1, 1992 and have agreed to recommend to our respective principals the following:
- Formal peace negotiations between the GRP and the NDF shall be held to resolve the armed conflict.
- The common goal of the aforesaid negotiations shall be the attainment of a just and lasting peace.
- Such negotiations shall take place after the parties have reached tentative agreements on substantive issues in the agreed agenda through the reciprocal working committees to be separately organized by the GRP and the NDF.
- The holding of peace negotiations must be in accordance with mutually acceptable principles, including national sovereignty, democracy and social justice and no precondition shall be made to negate the inherent character and purpose of the peace negotiations.
- Preparatory to the formal peace negotiations, we have agreed to recommend the following:
a) Specific measures of goodwill and confidence‑building to create a favorable climate for peace negotiations; and
b) The substantive agenda of the formal peace negotiations shall include human rights and international humanitarian law, socio‑economic reforms, political and constitutional reforms, end of hostilities and disposition of forces.
Signed on September 1, 1992 in The Hague, The Netherlands.
GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
Rep. JOSE V. YAP
NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC FRONT OF THE PHILIPPINES
Rep. Eric D. Singson Coni Ledesma
Teresita de Castro Byron Bocar
Jose Maria Sison