By NDFP Panay Regional Chapter
Demetrio (alias “Hugo”) Capilastique, Jr., Regional Commander of the RPA-ABB in Panay met his death yesterday, 30 December 2013, around 4:30 pm, at Linayuan, Badiangan, Iloilo, when he resisted against the arresting unit of the New People’s Army. The arresting officers of the NPA were obliged to defend themselves and neutralized Capilastique’s resistance being a dangerous criminal.
The NPA was carrying out a police action to arrest Capilastique and bring him to the People’s Court to face the charges against him. The order to arrest him was issued by the People’s Court-Panay under the authority of the People’s Provisional Government. There are parties who are interested to investigate Capilastique about the accusations against him, including cases of kidnapping and the whereabouts of those they have abducted who are still missing.
Records from the People’s Court-Panay, showed some of the heinous crimes which Capilastique had a direct hand in or were executed under his command.
- He was one in the leadership of those who committed the crime of mutiny against the legitimate leadership of the Communist Party of the Philippines and NPA in the Southern Front in 1994.
- He took part in planning the abduction of Luisa Posa and Nilo Arado at Oton in 12 April 2007, both were open mass leaders of progressive organizations in Panay and are still missing.
- The killing of Atty. Edgar Calizo in Kalibo, Aklan in 2004
- The killing of Jessie Cabalfin, a businessman at Buga, Leon in 2005.
- The killing of Antonio Camiring and son Hilbert of Pepe, Leon on 23 December 2006.
- The killing of a civilian named Ruel Tamano of Isauan, Tigbauan in 1994.
- The killing of Virgilio Tubellera of Sitio (sub-village) Lomboy, Bagacay, Tigbauan, 1995.
- The killing of Rogelio Tabion of Barangay (village) Hamog, Leon in 1996.
- The killing of Hernani Templo at Sitio Lomboy, Bagacay, 1998.
- The killing of Manuel Tacan of Ayubo, Tubungan, 1998.
- The killing of Fred Cayapa of Cansilayan, Tigbauan, 2001.
- The killing of Jimmy Gilange of Binanwaan, Camangahan, Guimbal, 2002.
- He took part in planning the kidnapping and killing of Leovic Gutierrez, a mountaineer from Metro Manila, in the mountains of Aklan in 2003.
- The killing of Juanito Lutero (1998) and Barangay Captain Jerry Colaja of Barangay Quipot, Janiuay; and also Miao Aportadera in order to control the quarrying business and extortion racket along the Suage River.
- He was involved in the 2002 kidnapping case of Jefferson Tan, son of a businessman in Iloilo.